"For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even His eternal power and Godhead..." Romans 1:20

Saturday, January 14, 2012

Imagine Part II

Alan Cohen tells about the time he asked the waitress if he could have the garlic toast like the people at the next table.  She explained that it came with their dinner.  He asked if he could have it as a side order.  She said she didn't think it'd ever been done before.  I love his reply:  "Then perhaps this is our opportunity to change history and create a new destiny."  He got his garlic toast.


What I love about his reply is that it stands up to every argument made that starts with "But we've never done it that way".  I'm forever looking for new and different ways to arrange my house.  This is my dining room at the moment:




But it has also looked like this:




Yes, that is an entirely different room!  Sometimes I switch the living room with the dining room and I'm constantly rearranging furniture within a room.  This satisfies my need to see things in a new and fresh way.  Even as a child I remember lying on the floor looking up at the ceiling and imagining the room upside down where in my imagination I walked on the ceiling and saw things from that perspective.  I always felt there had to be more to life than I was able to see at any given moment.


God has given us our imaginations in order to move us along.  Too often we become stagnate in our thinking which presents itself as non-action which in itself is an action--the choosing not to change the way things are done even if we know things aren't the way they should be.  


Father, help me to see that when things are rearranged in my life You are showing me there is a better way.


Link to scripture:  James 1:2

No comments:

Post a Comment