"For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even His eternal power and Godhead..." Romans 1:20

Friday, February 10, 2012

Illusions Part II

This is a photo I took of a statue in the town where I live:


Only it isn't exactly a statue....it's a painting of a statue.  The artist, William Cochran, was commissioned to paint the concrete bridge across Carroll Creek in downtown Frederick--even the stones and ivy aren't real.  You can see the rest of his work here: Community Bridge Project

It's also called trompe l'oeil meaning "fool the eye".  You can learn more about this type of painting here:  trompe l'oeil

The Bible has much to say about our hearts deceiving us and our eyes leading us into sin.  We are pretty good at justifying our desires with such hearts and eyes.  How often I have told myself I needed something when the truth was it was not a need but a want.  There's a difference between want and need.  This is where we must allow our thoughts to go if we want the truth of it.  And the truth is God provides us with everything we need.  When my heart feels as though it's breaking because I don't have what I think I need, the solution is not to keep grasping for it, but rather step back and see things from God's point of view.  Very often it's clear the thing is a desire and not a necessity for my well being.  The lack I feel is due to my desire not to an actuality.  Too often we derive our desires from what others have so it springs from jealousy.  Or we may think we need something because we feel as though something is missing in our lives and assume wrongly that what we desire is the answer.  


The only answer to that feeling of lack is God.  He is the only One who can fill that hole in our hearts, in our lives.  Trust Him.


Father, help me keep my focus on You so that the things of this world do not fool my eye into thinking "things" are the answer.  I know that if I desire You, You will give me the desires of my heart.


Link to scripture:  1 John 2:16-17

No comments:

Post a Comment