"For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even His eternal power and Godhead..." Romans 1:20

Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Losing Control Part II

"We turn to God for help when our foundation is shaking, only to recognize that it is God who is shaking it."  Charles Weston


This tree fell across our driveway several years ago after a violent storm.  It came out by its roots.  Here's the rest of it:
As you can see it was not a small tree.  


Alan Cohen says, "The purpose of change beyond our control is to shake us up so we must hasten in a new direction.  Upheaval is a gift of love.  When it comes, ask to see the blessing in what you're being forced to release, to make way for something new and better."  In the case of our tree it was a lot of hard work to cut it up and remove it, but it provided a winter's worth of firewood.  


It has been said that a miracle is a shift in perception.  I think a shift in one's thinking can be quite an upheaval.  In fact, for people to change their thinking once they've made up their minds about something IS a miracle.   Do we not depend on things to stay the same when it comes to our little worlds so we can be comfortable?  When Ken traveled for work he'd often come home to furniture rearranged.  He had to be careful not to stumble over something that wasn't there when he left.  


I'm beginning to realize that when I feel restless it's because I'm on the verge of some great change.  There's a stirring in the air that I must sense or something within my spirit that cues me in.  I used to be one of those people who feared change--unless I was in charge of it.  But I am waking up to the realization that surprises can be fun if I just change my perspective about them.  They can be like treasure hunts where clues are left along a trail to guide you to the bounty.  The search itself can be just as exciting as finding the treasure.


Father, thank you for helping me have a change of mind about the restlessness I feel so that I don't miss the joy in the journey.


Link to scripture:  James 1:2-4


Link to "Joy in the Journey" Michael Card



No comments:

Post a Comment