"For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even His eternal power and Godhead..." Romans 1:20

Friday, February 3, 2012

Names

Happy Birthday Benjamin!  Today is the 24th anniversary of his birth.  Here is one of my favorite pictures taken at 8 months:
His father had to name him because after naming the first two boys I'd run out of names for boys that I particularly liked.  But Benjamin proved to be a perfect name for him.  It means "son of my right hand."


In the Bible after a difficult labor and birth when Rachel realized she was about to die, she named her son Ben-Oni, meaning "son of my sorrow."  Jacob changed his name to Benjamin because he didn't want to think of Rachel's death every time he spoke his son's name.  You can read the entire story of Rachel's Benjamin's birth here:  Genesis 35:16-19

My Benjamin's second name is Joseph which means "he will add".  I chose that name because he was born on my Uncle Joe's birthday.  Here they are together:
But there was further reason to give him my uncle's name.   Uncle Joe's third daughter was born on my birthday.  Benjamin was my third son and was born on his birthday.  It's interesting to me, also, that Rachel's first son's name was Joseph.


In the Bible people were always getting their names changed according to the changes in their lives.  Abram became Abraham, Saul became Paul.  Here is a website that gives the meanings of names:  Behind the Name


Jesus, in speaking to his disciples on the eve of His sacrifice, tells them He no longer called them servants, but now called them friends.  We are called children of God once we receive Christ as our Savior.  


The names we call ourselves and by which others call us is important.  It describes and defines us.  In families children are encouraged not to besmirch the family name.  In God's family it is the same.  I could go on and on giving examples of why names are important, but in the end, what's most important is whatever name you go by is written in the Lamb's Book of Life.


Father, thank you for giving me my new name.  As Your child may I never dishonor Your name.  


Link to scripture:  Revelation 20:27

No comments:

Post a Comment