"For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even His eternal power and Godhead..." Romans 1:20

Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Illumination


This double-exposure photo was taken in the 1990's.  It was not intentional.  My camera's film advance mechanism was defective.  But I've always liked it because it illustrates life so perfectly for me.  We have the Statue of Liberty which is the symbol of the liberty and democracy the United States offers its citizens as well as immigrants.  Her torch symbolizes illumination held high to light the way.  The light emitted from the 25 windows illuminate the seven continents represented by its rays.  The city skyline in the background from the second photograph represents the world and its inhabitants.  And in the foreground are my sons and me taken at the base of the Statue.  You can see the pedestrian bridge of the second photograph superimposed on one of my sons. 

The Statue is merely symbolic of the light this world needs.  It's God's people who have to carry it forth into the world.  We are God's bridge.  The inscription on the Statue written by Emma Lazarus implores:

Give me your tired, your poor, 
Your huddled masses, yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore, 
Send these, the homeless, tempest tossed,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door.

Humankind is the tired, huddled masses yearning for freedom.  We are homeless whether we know it or not, if we count our sojourn here on earth as all there is.  God offers us the Way back to Him, our real Home.  And once we accept His Holy Spirit as His Seal we become beacons of light for others.

Father, may I let my light shine and not hide it under a bushel basket!

Link to:  The Answer

Link to scripture:  Matthew 5:14-16


No comments:

Post a Comment