"For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even His eternal power and Godhead..." Romans 1:20

Thursday, May 31, 2012

Change of Scenery

I remember noticing how my children, as infants, would always take a huge leap in development whenever we took them on a vacation.  There was something about experiencing new places and people that brought this about.  


We've just returned from such an excursion at a beach along the Chesapeake Bay.  I'd taken a book to read, but found I was so overwhelmed with all the new things to look at I did not want to bury my nose in a book!  Between the pleasing sights, soothing sounds of the waves, the feel of the constant cool breeze and the fragrances it brought I could not settle.  The first morning there I sat on the 3rd-story porch and watched the sunrise (Sound Effects):





There was a different view from every side of the house:

And activities different from our daily norm, like walking on the beach:

Kayaking:

Catching crabs in the estuary:

Exploring the shoreline:


Bicycling down country lanes:


And sitting around a campfire making smores:

I always come home from a vacation with a change of heart.  I see things differently and therefore think differently, too.  I know more of what I want out of life because I've discovered there is more to life than just my own little spot.  I may encounter different kinds of people new to me and have my prejudices squashed because I realize they are just like me at my core.   And there's always something about home I've missed and therefore appreciate more.  

God provides changes of scenery for us in other ways, too, to help us grow.  They are not always as pleasant as the weekend we just had.  I can look back on my life and see many unpleasant situations that helped me to see things differently.  I'm becoming so adept now at understanding how God works in my life, I often have to give myself a good talking to in order to remind myself I have a choice.  "Just do it" or else God will find a way to "encourage" me to change my mind about something I'm resisting....and depending on how pliable I am it will either be pleasant or not so pleasant. 

Father, thank you for the wonderful weekend with my family, for the memories created, the new things learned, and the discoveries made.  May I not waste any of it. 

Link to scripture:  James 1:2-4



No comments:

Post a Comment