"For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even His eternal power and Godhead..." Romans 1:20

Sunday, December 22, 2013

Copycats


"God created all people to be originals, but we continue to be copies of others.  Too often we are preoccupied with trying to fit in, that we never stand out." --Myles Munroe

photo credit: http://www.funkyenglish.com/forum/topics/copycat

I read Myles Munroe's words by candlelight this morning because just before dawn we lost our electricity.  I had a flashlight at my disposal, but with all the candles I have sitting about for Christmas I thought I'd bring a couple into the bedroom where I was reading my morning devotionals and writing in my daily journal.  The soft glow of candlelight brought me back to an earlier century--one in which I've always felt I really belong--a slower-paced, more "contained" time when life, for the most part, was centered around your immediate community.  Letters and newspapers were the extent of your exposure to the outside world, as were books and the occasional visitor--all very manageable.   

But modern life has forced us to pick and choose from a whole world of information and experiences.  This idea of being original is now subjected to the temptation of being something else.  We see that being another way might bring us acclaim or riches.  With the Internet we have all the details of that person's life, so we can emulate that person....and soon we lose sight of who we are...who God created us to be.  

Our heads are filled with other people's music so we don't have to learn to play an instrument or even sing.   We can watch a movie that takes us into another world.  We no longer have to go out into the world to have that experience for ourselves.  In an earlier time books could transport us and give us other experiences in our imaginations, but it was not total immersion like movies provide.  We still needed to add the sound and the images ourselves.  Now all that is done for us.  Of course, modern life is not without its benefits.  When I think of the dental work I've had I'm very grateful I live when I do, and I know there are a myriad of other benefits that do not come to mind right now because I've taken them for granted.  And yet....I sometimes wonder if technological progress, even as I use it to share this message, has been worth the cost to our humanity....

I became interested in the Amish about 20 years ago because their way of life was dependent on their community and drew them closer to God.  It was by studying them that I realized I was in a position to pick and choose from a way of life that felt more natural to me.  I didn't have to follow the dictates of the norm.  I could hang my clothes outside on the line to dry just because I love being out-of-doors and love sun-dried sheets and towels and saving money.  But, I could also use my dryer when it rained or just too cold to enjoy being outside.  I realized I have the best of both worlds and if I'd just follow my own heart and not try to fit in with the norm, I would be contented because I'd be living who I am.

As I prepare this week to receive Christmas into my heart I am reminded who it is that I am to emulate--not outwardly, but inwardly.....for if Christ is in my heart, then I can be assured that I will be the Original that I was created to be.

Father, may I find peace and therefore contentment in the knowledge that I am Yours and You are mine and that as long as I do all "as working for You" I will meet with success.  And this will be enough.

Link to scripture:  Colossians 3:23

Take action:  Prepare your heart to receive the Christ! Click on the title and sing along....



On Christmas night all Christians sing
to hear the news the angels bring;
On Christmas night all Christians sing
to hear the news the angels bring:
news of great joy, news of great mirth,
news of our merciful King’s birth.

Then why should we on earth be sad,
since our Redeemer made us glad?
Then why should we on earth be sad,
since our Redeemer made us glad,
when from our sin he set us free,
all for to gain our liberty?

When sin departs before His grace
Then life and health come in its place.
When sin departs before His grace,
Then life and health come in its place.
Angels and men with joy may sing,
all for to see the newborn King.

All out of darkness we have light,
which made the angels sing this night;
All out of darkness we have light,
which made the angels sing this night:
“Glory to God and peace to men,
now and forevermore. Amen.”

P.S.  For a little journey to that earlier century....


                                

No comments:

Post a Comment