"For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even His eternal power and Godhead..." Romans 1:20

Friday, July 4, 2014

In Dependence Day

The 4th of July is celebrated in America as the day in 1776 the American colonies declared their independence from Great Britain....
Because the Founding Fathers were God-fearing men and because so many Christians came here to escape religious persecution we are considered a Christian nation by many people.  This has been a sticking point for me ever since 1978 when I was awakened to the indwelling Holy Spirit and began reading the New Testament.  I'd been a believer for 20 years by then, but no one had ever explained who the Holy Spirit was and His role in my life (John 14:26).  
In the teachings of Jesus no where are we told to take up arms in order to demand our rights.  Instead, we are told to love one another as Christ has loved us--even our enemies (Matthew 5:44).  We are also told that governments are ordained by God to protect us (Romans 13:1).  Unfortunately, the definition of protection too often is interpreted differently than what I believe God intended.  It is one thing to defend oneself or another, and quite another to take matters into your own hands and be the aggressor because you fear they are a potential threat.  I also cannot understand how any Christian can pledge allegiance to a government when we are told it is only God we are to pledge our allegiance.   

America is a great nation!  Don't get me wrong.  I love my freedoms.  But please, don't call us a Christian nation.  That may be the "religion" that the majority of us profess, and we may have been founded on the principles of freedom from tyranny and the rights of the people, but we did not obtain those rights and freedoms in a Christian manner.  

So, you will not see me out there celebrating today.  I will not be waving my country's flag.  Instead I will be praying that God will have mercy on us as a nation, and on me as a person, and for the strength to post this Declaration of Dependence on God for all my needs.  I am called to be a good citizen and at times that will require a sacrifice on my part (e.g. taxes), but I put my trust in God, not my legislators or government leaders. 

Father, without you I can do nothing (John 15:5).  May I not stray from my allegiance to You.  May I always love as You have loved me.  May I be an offering.

Link to scripture:  Hebrews 12:28

Take action:  
              

                          

No comments:

Post a Comment