"For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even His eternal power and Godhead..." Romans 1:20

Monday, January 22, 2018

Promises Kept


"He has given us his very great and precious promises, so that through them you may participate in the divine nature, having escaped the corruption in the world caused by evil desires."  -2 Peter 1:4


Whenever I see a rainbow in the sky I think back to the one I saw in Florida 25 years ago when I had flown down to move my mother from the hospital there to one where I live in Maryland.  It was a daunting endeavor arranging an air ambulance and seeing to her affairs in Florida so that she could live with me if she recovered.  In that moment I felt God's reassurance that He would be with me in the task that lay ahead.  Whenever I look back to that year in my life I am always amazed I was able to do what I did--another reminder that it was God who enabled me to do it.

When I see a rainbow set in the sky I also think of how God has fulfilled the desires of my heart.  I never had the daughter I longed for, but I do have three wonderful sons and one of them has given me a granddaughter (being held by her Granddaddy in the photo).  The fact that she resembles me as a child and that we are very close reinforces for me that God gives us His perfect gifts according to His Wisdom in His own Time.  

God has given us His "great and precious promises" so that we might "participate in [His] divine nature."  In my view, there is a very practical reason for this:  If we aren't participating in His divine nature, we will stand in His way of fulfilling His promises.  Peter goes on to say in verses 5-7:  "For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; and to godliness, mutual affection; and to mutual affection, love." 

If I hadn't endeavored to add the qualities of goodness, knowledge, self-control, perseverance, godliness, mutual affection, and love to my faith in God's goodness, I would not have been able to "participate in God's divine nature" while caring for my ill mother.  I would not have been able to walk the path God had prepared for me, but instead would have walked that path alone.

And if I'd been bitter about not having a daughter, when my granddaughter came on the scene, I would not have been able to develop a close relationship with her.  My bitterness would have gotten in the way of expressing my love for her.

Peter concludes in verse 8:  "For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ."  

Yes, as I grow in the knowledge of the Lord Jesus Christ, I partake more and more in the divine nature of God.  I can't be anymore effective or productive than that.

Father, Great Promise Keeper, Your Promises are great and precious to me because they show me I can put my trust in You.  Thank you for all that you've done to help me grow closer to you.

Link to scripture:  Psalm 135:14

Take action:  Great and Precious Promises

         

4 comments:

  1. Dear Cathy - just such an uplifting post. Have often read that particular scripture - perseverance really stands out. I so can relate to the care of your Mom...I too am working through that special time in my life as well. It truly teaches us to die to self and live for others. Thank you for a beautiful song. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debbie, thank you for writing. Caring for an ailing/dying parents has its own special trials often time. After 6 months I found myself flagging--I needed someone to hold up my arms, so to speak, like Moses needed. But I did not have anyone who was up to the task. Once I realized that somewhere along the way I'd started trying to do it on my own and gave it back to God, I was able to meet the challenges for the rest of the year that I cared for her. I love that song so much that when I read the scripture I knew I had to write about it just so I could share that song!

      Delete
  2. Hi Cathy,
    What a good word you're written here. I appreciate your insight. It's just five years ago this week that my mom went to heaven and my years of caring for her ended. It was a privilege and honor but didn't always feel that way and it was God who sustained us the entire time. I look back on it all as a time of great beauty in my life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are words first written by God Himself! Words I have very much needed to hear again and again.....and to live again and again.

      Delete