"For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even His eternal power and Godhead..." Romans 1:20

Sunday, June 16, 2013

Into the Woods: Poison Ivy

Leaves of Three Let It Be....

Poison ivy has the knack of being able to hide amongst other plants on the ground, some which also have three leaves like the Box Elder seedling, which we have loads of also.  It's not until it starts to climb a host tree that it's noticed....
Now that we've cleared our woods of fallen trees and brambles we are finding many trees like the above filled with poison ivy, along with what's on the ground lurking to attack bare ankles!  

Consequently, I've been doing some research on how to get rid of poison ivy.  One method is to use a herbicide like Round-Up.  Ken has been spraying the ivy with Round-Up but it doesn't seem to be working very well, so I researched how Round-Up works to make sure we were using it properly.  How it works is it inhibits an enzyme called EPSP synthase which enables the plant to produce other proteins essential for growth.  This can take days or weeks.  So perhaps I'm just being impatient.  But I also learned that when it comes to poison ivy you still must remove ALL the roots otherwise it will eventually grow back!  Did you see the ivy on that tree?  Did you see the size of the vine that snaked up the tree?  I can only imagine its root system.  

All this made me think of the "poison" in my life--the things that remain hidden but cause irritation and hurt in others when they brush up against me.  You know the things I'm talking about.  I used to call it "you bring out the worst in me" or "he/she pushed a button in me."  Because of my age, most of my "poison" has reached the point of the second photo--growing up into the trees, supported and clinging by its sturdy vine.  How can I ever change if the only way to be rid of it is to dig up every last inch of root?!

I probably have you sitting on the edge of your chair waiting for the answer.....but I don't have one.  I DO know, however, the answer has something to do with God.  He has promised to work in me to bring me to righteousness.  Jesus Christ enabled me to be made right with God and His Holy Spirit is enabling me to live right to the degree I allow Him to enable me.  It really does all come down to faith--believing without seeing.  That is what trust is.  Putting my trust in the completed work of Christ will inhibit the "enzyme" in me that wants to feed the poison.  Like with the Round-Up, it will kill the plant, but not the root.  And just like we will have to continue to apply the Round-Up every year to keep the plant from growing, I will need to keep open to the Holy Spirit so that He will inhibit the old ways and enable the new Life He's growing in me.

Father, renewal can bring a fresh sense of excitement, but I must guard my heart, I realize, so that I do not grow complacent and forget that without You I can do nothing.

Link to scripture: John 15:5

Take action: 
                                                             


No comments:

Post a Comment