"For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even His eternal power and Godhead..." Romans 1:20

Sunday, April 8, 2012

Resurrection



I was looking for an appropriate song for today's post for Easter--Resurrection Day--and came across Keith Green's "Easter Song" which led me to investigate his short life further.  He and two of his three children, along with a missionary couple and their six children, died in a preventable airplane crash.  The pilot had not done a proper preflight inspection which, had he done so, would have shown the plane had too many occupants for proper take off.  Green left behind an infant and a wife who was expecting their fourth child, as well as a thriving ministry.  


As I thought about what I wanted to write today it seemed appropriate to write a "He has risen!  Victory over sin!" message--very upbeat.  That's what's expected on this very special Christian day after all.  But another message kept coming up instead.  A much darker one.  The lid on my pandora's box of fears was being lifted by Green's story.  His wife, Melody, survived the tragedy and has continued their ministry all these years, but could I?


Alan Cohen tells this story:  A young man came to a guru and asked him what he would need to do to become enlightened.  The master took the student to a lake and pushed his head under water for a long time.  Finally, the man became desperate for air and forced his way to the surface, shouting, "Are you trying to kill me?"  The guru calmly replied, "When you want God as much as you wanted air, you will find enlightenment."


This makes me think of the rich young man in Matthew 19:16-28.  Jesus is basically telling him the same thing, only in reverse--you must want to follow me so badly that you'll give up everything for me.  This is one of those "hard sayings" that we want to gloss over so we can get on to the easier parts.  So, I was feeling rather discouraged.  Who am I, I told myself, to be a voice for God with this Blog when I've already admitted I feel like Peter half the time!  


But then I reminded myself to Turn Your Eyes Upon Jesus and I began to feel God's presence.  This is what I heard in my heart.....Cathy, I'll never ask more of you than I've already given you.  I died for you because you could not pay the price.  I'll give you what you need to live, too.  Just keep your eyes on me.  Don't look down--look straight ahead--keep your eyes on me.


Keith Green:  Easter Song


Father, He is risen!  He is risen, indeed!  May we each experience our Risen Lord in our hearts today and every moment of every day You give us!


A documentary: Keith Green's Story


Link to scripture:  1 Peter 3:9


Take action: Have you decided?

No comments:

Post a Comment