"For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even His eternal power and Godhead..." Romans 1:20

Sunday, August 25, 2013

Enthusisasm

Enthusiasm:  (Greek) "en" (one with) "theos" (the divine).  Mark Nepo says enthusiasm cannot be willed or forced.  "It can only be felt after we immerse ourselves in life."  He likens our enthusiasm to "the sound of God moving through the harp of the soul" such as this aeolian harp whose strings are "plucked" by the wind....
               


Have you ever thought about what you find yourself getting enthusiastic about?  It's more than just looking forward to something.  It's feeling excited about it.  If you're having a hard time coming up with a list, it might be because you never allow yourself to get excited about anything for fear it might not happen....and then where will you be?  Disappointed?  Angry?  Or some other emotion you find difficult to manage.  

I understand.  I really do.  I remember being that way when I was younger because I'd suffered too many disappointments.  But somewhere along the way I read that if you never experience sorrow you can never feel joy....so I eventually learned to ride with the tide--the ebb and flow of life--that has its highs and its lows.  It was difficult sometimes to remember this when I was in my "pit of self-pity," but eventually I got tired of feeling bad and just rode it out.  

But then I came across this song in the 1980's.  I was playing guitar and singing in church at the time with two other ladies.  In the process of learning the song I took it in deeply where it changed my whole view of life....
                 

Father, the Joy of my salvation is what sustains me when enthusiasm evades me.  Thank you for never leaving me.

Link to scripture:  John 14:20

Take action:  I found this list of 16 Ways to Put More Enthusiasm in your Work and Life which you may find helpful in the practical matters.  But it's only in allowing God to move freely through you that you'll be able to weather the disappointments and sorrows you'll inevitably encounter.  It is through and by Him that we are enabled to sustain our joy in the journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment