"For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even His eternal power and Godhead..." Romans 1:20

Monday, April 17, 2017

The Lesson of the Raccoon


"Peace I leave with you; My peace I give to you.  I do not give to you as the world gives.  Do not let your hearts be troubled; do not be afraid."  -John 14:27


In February I featured my Secret Garden in a post entitled "Make Me a Sanctuary."  In seems this raccoon felt my Secret Garden was his sanctuary because he took up abode there all day yesterday.  I discovered him when I was hiding Easter eggs for my granddaughter (plastic ones--so this was not the attraction for the raccoon).  He was still there, as you see, when we came out to look for the eggs.  When he saw us his natural instinct to be afraid led him to scamper up a nearby tree, but later he was back down in the garden.  

On the other side of the lattice is our fenced yard where our dog is allowed to roam.  When we let him out later in the day he could tell there was a wild animal nearby and started barking.  That is when the raccoon went up the tree again and remained there the rest of the day. . . .

He'd been sleeping until that bird on the branch to the left had pecked him to get his attention.  I wondered if the bird, like me, was concerned about the raccoon's welfare and wanted to see if it was dead or alive.  But during the night, when all was quiet he must have taken his leave for a dog-free sanctuary because he is no where to be found.

So, I had to ask myself, "What is the lesson of the raccoon?"  Why did he choose my Secret Garden, the one I just wrote about?  How is my concern for the raccoon, while concern for myself and my family, if it should prove to be sick, factor in?  I went back to the February post for clues.  I'd prayed "Father, make me an instrument of your peace that I might share all that You have given me."  Was there a time since I'd prayed that prayer that I'd missed an opportunity to be a sanctuary of peace?  Was this little raccoon sent to remind me of my prayer?

Father, thank you for reminding me of my prayer so that I will be more intentional in being the answer.

Link to scripture:  2 Corinthians 13:11

Take Action:

                



2 comments: