"For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even His eternal power and Godhead..." Romans 1:20

Friday, July 7, 2017

Taking Responsibility


"For we are God's handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do." -Ephesians 2:10


"Candorville"

I am writing this today for myself.  As soon as I read Candorville this morning I knew that if I didn't write about it I'd miss something important that I needed to see.  Interestingly, it goes along with something I read in a book last night--Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, later to become the author/artist of the classic The Little Prince, was 26 years old and on his first of many-to-come adventures as a traveler.  After the small plane he was in crashed-landed in the Sahara hhad the following thought:  "For the first time since I was born it seemed to me that my life was my own and that I was responsible for it."  Saint-Exupéry had it right except for the part about his life being his own.  

As a Christian my life is not my own but I AM responsible for it.  Rudy in the Candorville comic knew something was wrong with his life but he didn't know how to change it.  The therapist was the one to tell him it was up to him to "get off the couch" and change his life himself.  I identify with Rudy.  I can make all sorts of excuses for not getting off the couch, literally.  

I am realizing as I write why I do not like to hear people complain about the things wrong in their life.  It hits too close to home.  While I'm thinking of all the things they should do to change things in their life, I don't have to think about what it is I have to do to change things in my life.  And then, I have to get off the couch.  There is no remote control for life!

Father, I belong to you through Christ so I know that you have prepared a path for me to walk in with Your help.  May I be open to Your leading and humble enough to accept Your help to do all that You desire. 

Link to Scripture: Proverbs 15:19

Take Action:  What Does the Bible Say About Personal Responsibility?


No comments:

Post a Comment