"For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even His eternal power and Godhead..." Romans 1:20

Tuesday, May 22, 2018

Joy of the Lord

"Let your gentleness be evident to all.  The Lord is near."  -Philippians 4:5

The above verse was included in my daily scripture readings this week.  I decided to study it further and found these definitions for gentleness as used in this verse:
  • sweet reasonableness
  • moderation
  • patience
  • forbearance
  • meekness
  • peaceableness
  • kindness
My recent (first-ever) overseas trip came to mind.  We had a connecting flight from here to Philadelphia for the transatlantic flight to Manchester, England. As you can see by my photo we were at Heathrow airport which is in London.  That's because the flight to Philadelphia on American Airlines was cancelled at the last minute which meant we would not make the flight to Manchester.  American Airlines efficiently booked us on a British Airways flight, but it only flew to London.  From there we would fly to Manchester.  The problem with this was the only seats available were on a flight that meant we would not make the train we'd booked to get us to our final destination in the Lake District.  I became quite upset about this.  Normally I do not question changed travel plans because I figure there's a good reason we aren't supposed to be on a particular flight.  As I analyzed my behavior that evening I realized the reason I was upset was I'd planned our itinerary down to the littlest detail and had even typed it up.  Our first day in England was going to be shortened by six hours and there was nothing I could do about it.  I'm sorry to say none of those above descriptions fit how I was feeling.  At least I can say I did not "take it out" on the customer service people, but neither was my gentleness evident in those moments when their "only solution" was presented.

But change in plans did not stop there.  On my itinerary were several walks through the countryside.  I had my guidebook but it turned out that signposts were missing and we got lost on several occasions, having to back track.  One day we had to change our plans altogether and scrap a whole day's itinerary.

I share all this because we have vacation plans later this week which are being "upset" by circumstances beyond my control, and I am wanting to make sure my "gentleness is evident" this time.  I need to write about it in order to process all that I'm learning.  Our plans are for our sons and their families to gather at a rented beach house on the Chesapeake Bay.  We have been there before so I know just how wonderful it will be.  The glitch is our daughter-in-law, who is due to deliver their second child at the end of June, has just found out the baby is due sooner than thought and could come at any time now.  They are questioning whether they should be two and a half hours from the hospital.  It is a good glitch, but I am disappointed that they might not be able to be there.  Once again I'm being given an opportunity to let the Joy of the Lord be evident in me.

Further study brought me to this explanation of gentleness in this verse:  "It stands for the temper which contents itself with less than it is due, and shrinks from insisting on its strict rights."

C. S. Lewis has said concerning Christian behavior:  "We might think that God wanted simply obedience to a set of rules:  whereas He really wants people of a particular sort."  Lewis's point is because the "Lord is near," meaning He is in us, His gentleness should be evident.  Gritting one's teeth and holding back one's anger is not the same thing as being a "people of a particular sort."  A Christian's gentleness is not feigned--it is genuine because the Lord is near.  

The question then boils down to this for me:  Am I willing to be content with less than is due me?  Because this is the only way I can be fully surrendered to the Holy Spirit in me--it is the  evidence that I trust Him.  And thereby experience the Joy of the Lord.

By the way, that connecting flight once we got back to the States was also cancelled.  They offered us a hotel room and a flight 24 hours later, which it turns out, got cancelled!  We said no thank you and booked the last two seats on a train that got us home to sleep in our own bed that night.  In the end everything had worked out going and coming.  Think how much more enjoyable my trip would have been if I'd just remembered that God had written out my itinerary to begin with.  Being a Christian is all about trusting God when we cannot see what His plan is.

Father, I'd rather follow Your Plan any day because I know I am capable of getting lost even when I've done my best to ensure that I know where I'm going! Thank you for the reminders that my ego is always looking to trip me up.  May I never forget You are always near.  I need only call upon You when the unknown threatens me.

Link to scripture:  Philippians 4:6

Take Action:


                      

3 comments:

  1. Cathy, I'm so glad your journey there and the return home was safe. I'm so glad you have found peace about the disappointments that surround these circumstances. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can relate to your frustrations. I too have to work on letting gentleness come in to my heart when confronted with disappointment. GOD must be working through you to get this important message out to not only me but most likely others that need to hear this message. Love you Sis!

    ReplyDelete