"For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even His eternal power and Godhead..." Romans 1:20

Wednesday, August 22, 2018

Whom Do You Serve?


"He makes me lie down in green pastures, He leads me beside quiet waters." 
-Psalm 23:2


"Do you serve God or your feelings?"  

This is the question Joyce Meyer asks us in her article, "How to Embrace God's Forgiveness."

Over the years as I've come to love God more and more my desire to serve Him has become of all importance to me.  Unfortunately, this desire has its pitfalls because it can easily become self-serving.  We get caught up in having a "purpose" where we can fall into the trap of pride.  And if we can't see what our purpose is and begin to think we have none, we can fall into the trap of self-pity or guilt where Satan can get his hands on us.

Last month I missed the last step on our deck and fell, twisting my ankle.  I was looking up at the trees enjoying how beautiful they were rather than being mindful of what I was doing.  This incident served as a visual reminder of what happens when we are not "present."  God continually brings me back to this point to show me time and again that I only have communion with Him in the present moment--not in the past--not in the future.  Only right now.  

We do not live in the past--it is over.

We do not live in the future--we can only make plans for it.  Living in the future can lead us into worry and worry means we are not trusting God.

When I stop to think about some of the things that wreak havoc in my life, such as not forgiving and the anger it generates, I realize that anger is merely a feeling that I'm serving by continuing to allow it into my life.  I cannot serve two masters.  Whom do I choose?  My feelings or God?  

Feelings of anger, or any unloving feeling for that matter, is merely the response of my human ego to having not gotten its own way.   If we trust God and want only what He wants for us, believing He is a Good and Loving Father, we should be humbled and draw closer to Him through it.  Only He can bring good out of our difficult situations

Father, I need to trust You and not my feelings.  May I be mindful of this as I stay in the present moment where I have fellowship with You.

Link to Scripture:  Joshua 24:15

Take Action:

                       

No comments:

Post a Comment