"For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even His eternal power and Godhead..." Romans 1:20

Thursday, April 9, 2020

Obedience

"My father, if it is possible, let this cup pass from Me.  Yet, not as I will, but as You will."
-Matthew 26:39


Oswald Chambers writes, "If I am a slave to myself, I am to blame because at a point away back I yielded to myself....There is no power in the human soul of itself to break the bondage of a disposition formed by yielding.....Yielding to Jesus will break every form of slavery in human life."

I was familiar with the story of the woman who poured perfume on Jesus at Simon the Leper's house.  Some of his disciples berated her for wasting the perfume--it could have been sold and the money given to the poor--but Jesus said she had done a beautiful thing.  He told them she was preparing his body for burial.  What I hadn't connected before was that Judas immediately went to the Chief Priests and asked what they'd pay him to hand Jesus over to them.  It is interesting to note that Judas was the treasurer for the disciples.  It was his job to manage their finances.  I think he became indignant when Jesus did not scold the woman for "wasting" the perfume.  It is obvious he was a slave to money.  This is what enabled him to betray Jesus.  I've always wondered how one of Jesus's disciples could betray Jesus for 30 pieces of silver, but now I understand.  

Jesus had a mission to fulfill.  He knew that he would be man's salvation.  He would take on the sins of the world and allow himself to be crucified on a cross so that we could be forgiven and restored to God.  But Judas had made managing the money his mission.  Perhaps he even genuinely cared for the poor, but his heart did not belong to Jesus.  He did not desire Jesus, only a position and purpose as a follower of Jesus.  As followers of Christ we must never let our mission be anything other than obeying Jesus.  

As we look forward to celebrating Jesus' resurrection this Easter Sunday, we mustn't forget what it cost Jesus.  Through His death and resurrection the Holy Spirit now lives in us and us in Him.  It is this relationship that enables us to fulfill our purpose as Christians.  Moment by moment He guides us to be His voice, His arms and legs, His love for a broken world.  

Father, may I always yield my will to Yours so that You can have free reign in me to do Your will.

Link to Scripture: John 14:23

Take action:

                       



                       


5 comments:

  1. I love your interpretation of Judas, for I too always wondered how he could do it. But, in fact, God had him in place to do it.. someone had to, and your reasoning sounds well thought out to give him reason to fulfill his purpose. When ten years old I was watching a sho about the Shroud of Turin and there were small cards I could order. I did, and marvel at the imprint of Jeuus on the shroud. SO grateful for the power and presence of GOD now in everything we do, and on bended knee, join you in the RESURRECTION PROMISE.. freedom in CHRIST JESUS, saved by his stripes and his blood ..one must surrender ALL TO GOD to gain that freedom..everything. .. job, material things, family , everything. then one bursts out of the illusion there is anything other than God leading us all each day. My husbands and my favorite song is LORD I KNOW by MC BOULEVARD ..... we play it over and over, praising Jesus for saving us m leading us and loving us ... and helping us find one another. Love to you all ..from all.. Merri

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here is that song we love somuch,

    Lord I Know - M.C. BLVD - YouTube

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cathy such a great insight into Judas and his betrayal. I also loved the fact that Jesus' prayer was let this cup pass from me but not my will but yours. Such a wonderful example that in the end the most important thing is that God's will be done. Guess we realize that what we want may not be to God's will and glory. So yielding daily is something each of us must do. So thankful that the Holy Spirit teaches us and comforts us along this path of learning. Have a blessed day. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, when we take our eyes off Jesus we stray from His will because our eyes are on ourselves. It's one or the other. We can't do both at the same time.

      Delete