"For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even His eternal power and Godhead..." Romans 1:20

Saturday, November 13, 2021

Jehovah-nissi

 "Moses built an altar and called it Jehovah-nissi, The LORD is my Banner."  - Exodus 17:15


I've always had what I call a "sense of justice" that drives me to try to be fair.  I don't like seeing people being taken advantage of or overlooked This "sense of justice" felt like a good thing to have until I realized that in the dark recesses of my mind I'm exclaiming that it wasn't fair to Jesus that He had to die for my sins!  My "sense of justice" makes me feel I need to be the one to pay for my sins.   Just like Peter declared that Jesus shall never wash his feet, then later drew his sword to keep the soldiers from taking Jesus, I'm not accepting Jesus' sacrifice that He willingly took upon Himself.  While I know Jesus died for my sins in order to take away my past, present, and future guilt, I continue to listen to my ego's attempt to weaken my relationship with God refusing the peace God offers me by not forgiving myself.   Jesus' sacrifice cleanses my conscience.  It is the only way because my "sense of justice" is, in reality, self-righteousness, as is any judgment I make about myself or others.  Self-righteousness denies the work of Christ on the cross.  Self-righteousness is putting ego on the throne where it continually accuses us whenever we make a misstep. 


Moses built an altar to celebrate the defeat of the Amalekites at Rephidim and named it Jehovah-nissi, "The LORD is my Banner," because he knew the victory belonged to God.  When Moses lifted up his staff Israel prevailed.  When his arms grew tired and he lowered them, the Amakekites prevailed until Aaron and Hur held his arms up for him.  Only then did Joshua win the battle.  Building the altar was Moses' acknowledgment that the victory belonged to God.


By trusting God, raising my banner of faith, my missteps can be used by God to grow me up in Him and set me back on the path of His righteousness.   I need to let go of MY sense of justice and trust the all-knowing, all-powerful God to judge according to His will.


Lord, You are my Banner.  May I never go anywhere or do anything without my Banner raised.


Link to scripture:  Psalm 73:26


Take action:  The Lord is My Banner


                           

4 comments:

  1. Thank you Cathy for your thoughts on this topic. It opened my eyes too. I look forward to your posts. Love & miss you Sis.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a wake up call for me, Cathy. thank you. It's so easy these days to get lost in my head.

    ReplyDelete