"For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even His eternal power and Godhead..." Romans 1:20

Monday, March 13, 2023

Breath of Life

"....[Jesus] breathed on them and said, 'Receive the Holy Spirit.'"  --John 20:22


"I am seeing more and more that we begin to learn what it is to walk by faith when we learn to spread out all that is against us -- all our physical weakness, loss of mental power, spiritual inability, all that is against us inwardly and outwardly -- as sails to the wind and expect them to be vehicles for the power of Christ to rest upon us.  It is so simple and self-evident, but so long in the learning."  Lilias Trotter, 22 August 1902

Lilias refers to our troubles as "vehicles for the power of Christ to rest upon us."  I love the imagery that our troubles are like sails that the wind uses to power the sailboat.  In the Bible God and the Holy Spirit are referred to as wind or breath sometimes.  Without question God gives us the breath of life. The first thing a newborn baby does is draw in a breath.  If we can't continue to breathe, we will die.  God's breath is our life force!

Just like the wind itself can't be seen, only what it touches, the Holy Spirit can only be seen when His power moves us according to His will.  We live in a fear-based world that only God's love can overcome.  Without faith in God's love for us, we cannot overcome the fear that not only surrounds us but is within us when we do not know God's love.  Our troubles are merely vehicles for expressing the power of God in us.  And if we see them as merely  vehicles, we can go along for the ride joyfully knowing that in the end God's love conquers all.

Father, just like Lilias it has taken me a lifetime to learn this about my life in Christ.  I'm glad that Lilias included "all that is against us inwardly" because often times I am my own worst enemy.  I let negative thoughts enter the threshold of my mind, invite them to sit and stay awhile, then entertain them until I've lost the peace you offer me.  I am led down the rabbit hole of self-pity, depression, anger, hopelessness.  My inner life is the first defense I have against the world's attempt to drag me away from trusting You.  But praise God!  I have Your Holy Spirit living in me to overcome fear and strengthen me in conquering all the world's assaults.  


Link to Scripture:  Ephesians 3:16


Take action:  Holy Spirit Living Breath of God


                           


2 comments:

  1. Such wonderful insight. It seems evident that the Holy Spirit has been guiding me to choose good thoughts instead of bad ones. Just finished Joyce Meyer's book regarding the power of our thoughts. Then I come to your blog and you remind me once again - how good is Our God who takes time to teach us the lessons we need to survive here in this world. Bless you friend. Gorgeous song and video too. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debbie, I love knowing that the Holy Spirit is also working in you the same as He is working in me concerning our thoughts! Be on the lookout for opportunities to put this "power of thoughts" lesson into practice. This has been my experience and I am learning to look forward to "practicing" the truths I am learning. ❤️

      Delete