"For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even His eternal power and Godhead..." Romans 1:20

Monday, August 31, 2015

The Importance of Words

"It is never my custom to use words lightly.  If 27 years in prison have done anything to us, it was to use the silence of solitude to make us understand how precious words are and how real speech is in its impact on the way people live and die." -Nelson Mandel


Proverbs 4:23 says "Above all else guard your heart for everything you do flows from it."  This is why words are so important--they are an indication of what is in your heart--and what is in your heart is an indication of what is in your very being--the real you.  James 3:4 says, "Look at the ships also, though they are so great and are driven by strong winds, are still directed by a very small rudder wherever the inclination of the pilot desires."

People seem to be so careless with their words sometimes.  I know I am guilty of this from time to time.  I am always grateful when I recognize that it is showing me that something isn't right in my heart so that I can ask for God's help.  And wherever possible I'll make amends to the recipient of any harsh words I've spoken.  But there are some people that never seem to realize the power of their words.  I've been the recipient, too, in those instances.

I've recently started the Take Joy Society web journal.  It will be a repository for anything that will encourage us to Take Joy rather than to choose gloom.  As a Christian, true joy can only be found in what God has given me through His Son, Jesus Christ.  The day I put the Take Joy Society on-line I was "tested."  But the Lord keeps bringing to mind a Sunday School song that goes like this....The joy of the Lord is my strength.  The words are sung four times to a sweet little melody.  This song will automatically start up in my head as soon as I feel distraught.  I love it!  I can't stay down for long with this wonderful reminder running through my mind because it's not long before it trickles down into my heart.....and all is well because I know my strength comes from the Lord to bear the struggles, the heartaches, the challenges that life brings my way.

Here are more scriptures pertaining to the tongue.

Father, You are my strength in times of trouble.  How can I fail?

Link to Scripture:  Psalm 19:14

Take Action:  The eyes are another entrance to your heart which can lead to harsh words being spoken which can end up severing relationships.  As Christians we then lose any chance of being a witness.  An unguarded heart can lead to broken families, even death....

                        

No comments:

Post a Comment