"For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even His eternal power and Godhead..." Romans 1:20

Tuesday, October 24, 2017

All Hallows Eve


"...we have been made holy through the sacrifice of the body of Jesus Christ once for all."  -Hebrews 10:10


With Halloween just around the corner--the secular day to celebrate witches, black cats, and all things scary--I wanted to write about All Hallows (Holy) Eve, the Christian day of preparation for All Hollows Day or All Saints Day, as it is also known, which Pope Gregory III designated in the 8th century.  All Hollows Day is celebrated by many Christian churches on November 1st--a day to remember the saints--those made holy through Jesus Christ's sacrifice--who have gone before us to be with the Lord. On All Hallows Eve Christians would hold a vigil of prayer and fasting prior to the feast held on All Hallows Day.

Halloween (a contraction of Hallow Evening) has its roots in the ancient Celtic festival of Samhain.  This festival was for the purpose of warding off ghosts by lighting bonfires and wearing costumes. . .
This day marked the end of summer and the harvest and the beginning of the dark, cold winter, a time of year that was often associated with human death. Celts believed that on the night before the new year, the boundary between the worlds of the living and the dead became blurred. On the night of October 31 they celebrated Samhain, when it was believed that the ghosts of the dead returned to earth.  (history.com)
The Celts lived more than 2000 years ago when anything mysterious was explained as being evil spirits.  Superstitions rose to give people some control over what they could not understand.  

As a child I went "trick or treating" and attended Halloween parties just like everyone else.  But once I was an adult and had children of my own, I did not encourage my children to do so.  I dreaded the scary movie previews on TV and scary displays in stores that my children might be subjected to.  And besides, they did not need all that candy!  I did not like anything that Halloween stood for.  The world was already scary enough.  I was glad that by then schools had dropped Halloween and instead had Fall Festivals in which children could dress up as book characters.  

It would be nice if churches did the same.  All Saints Day has pretty much gotten lost in many church's calendar--overshadowed by the very commercial Halloween.  Let us bring back All Hallows Eve where we prepare with prayer and fasting in preparation to celebrate the saints who have gone before us--rather than glorifying bedevilment, even in the name of "fun."  

Father, may I be found faithful as one of your saints so that those who are watching and those who are following will see You clearly in me.

Scripture:  Hebrews 12:1

Take Action:
                       

2 comments:

  1. Cathy hopped over here to visit you when I stopped to see Jeri.- Wonderful post on Halloween and Hollows Day/All Saints Day. I know like you I would go trick or treating and give no thought to this holiday. Am glad we have been made aware of the actual background of this pagan holiday. Loved your song. This is one I have never heard - very beautiful. Will be stopping back to visit again. Have a blessed day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by Debbie. I'm so glad I was able to introduce you to this wonderful song!

      Delete