"For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even His eternal power and Godhead..." Romans 1:20

Wednesday, February 21, 2018

Abandoned To God

"When we are abandoned to God, He works through us all the time."  
-Oswald Chambers


When I was younger I had hoped to ride in a hot air balloon at some point in my life.  Now that I am older and have learned how dangerous it is, I have lost my desire to go up in one!  Yet, despite my change of heart, this is one of my favorite paintings I did during a watercolor class.  Our assignment was to draw and paint a hot air balloon from a photo that the teacher provided. What I love about my painting is that I captured a sense of movement with the tilted basket.  To me it represents a sense of adventure--of heading off into the wild blue yonder letting the balloon take me where it will.

In writing about abandonment to God Oswald Chambers noted, "We have to get rid of this notion--'Am I of any use?' and make up our minds that we are not and we may be near the truth.  It is never a question of being of use, but of being of value to God Himself."  It is in our relationship with Him that we find our value and when we realize that we become available to Him in all things.  

Chamber also wrote, "If human love does not carry a man beyond himself, it is not love."  This is the same with love for God.  If it is true love, we will be carried beyond ourselves.  We will do whatever is required of us even if it is just "ordinary, simple human things which will give evidence to God that I am abandoned to Him."
Abandoning our lives and following Jesus is an adventure.  We know not where the Spirit will lead us.  That is why we must trust and obey Him.  If we become fearful and hesitant or obstinate and resistant, we are focusing on ourselves and no longer depending on Him.  I love that when my soon-to-be four-year-old granddaughter prays, she always says, "God, I love you. You love me."  I don't know if she is just repeating something she heard in Sunday School or from her mother, but I think it expresses perfectly the confidence she has that God loves her and because of that she loves Him back.  Who could ask for anything more?!


Father, may I be content being of value to You rather than needing to feel useful for my own sake.  

Link to Scripture:  Matthew 16:24

Take Action:  Reflections on living the Christian life by Billy Graham who went Home today. . . .

            

4 comments: