"For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even His eternal power and Godhead..." Romans 1:20

Sunday, August 22, 2021

Do You Really Love God?

 

"Therefore, if any man be in Christ, he is a new creation; old things are passed away; behold, all things are new."  -2 Corinthians 5:17






photo credit:  https://youtu.be/xYsvgWCKc7E

This morning I was reading Alexander MacLaren's expositions on 2 Corinthians 5:17 concerning the new creatures/creation we become when we receive Christ into our life.  MacLaren says, "It implies personal union with Him so that He is the very element or atmosphere in which we live.  And that union is brought about by faith in Him."  He went on to say, "It gives a new aim and centre for our lives.  Then we live not unto ourselves......It puts all life under the influence of a new love......A new affection has expulsive power as the new sap rising in the springtime pushes off the lingering withered leaves."  He's talking about our relationship with God, not with a religion.

This brought to mind the encounter Jesus had with Peter after he'd denied Him three times.  Jesus asked Peter whether he loved Him, "Jesus asked a third time, 'Simon, son of John, Do you love me?'  Peter was deeply hurt that Jesus had asked him a third time, 'Do you love Me?'  'Lord, You know all things,' he replied.  'You know I love You.'  Jesus said to him, 'Feed My sheep'...." (John 21:17)  Notice that Jesus asked Peter if he loved Him the same number of times Peter denied Him.  I think Jesus was showing Peter He forgave Him for each time he denied Him.  He was giving Peter an opportunity to put that sin behind him and love Him by feeding His sheep.

A little later I watched Daniel Maritz's video, "Why I HATE  man-made RELIGION and LOVE GOD."  Daniel asked us if we really love God.  Here was Peter's encounter with Jesus again as well as the scripture above!  He used the photos at the top of this post in his video to illustrate the difference between religion and relationship.  Too often what we really love is religion.  If you aren't sure whether it's religion (going to church and obeying its rules) or God that you love, Daniel's video (below) will help you answer this question.

Loving God is what being a Christian is all about.  There is only one law we are commanded to keep and that is to love God with our whole heart, soul, mind, and strength, and in doing so we will be able to love our neighbor as ourselves.  By taking our eyes off ourselves and putting them on God, His love can flow through us to others and in the process we will experience His love for real.  Remember, we are only able to love God because He first loved us! We have no excuses left.

Father, in Christ I have life----YOUR life----Do I really love You, You ask. If I deny the my New Life in me I am denying Christ who enables me to do all things through and for You.  


Link to scripture:  Galatians 2:20

Take Action:

                           


2 comments:

  1. Ah Cathy what a great example...wondering if thinking about lunch in church versus eating lunch and thanking God could be exchanged? I have been guilty for doing that at one time or another. Have a lovely week friend. Thanks too for your sweet comment and visit to my blog. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ❤️ Thinking more about God more often, no matter where I am, would certainly change me and the world.

      Delete