"For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even His eternal power and Godhead..." Romans 1:20

Tuesday, February 22, 2022

Escape

 "Through these He has given us His precious and magnificent promises, so that through them you may become partakers of the divine nature, now that you have escaped the corruption in the world caused by evil desires."  --2 Peter 1:4



I like to escape to our woods when I'm feeling unsettled.


The world will soon mark two years since the pandemic was declared and many countries went into lockdown for weeks.  Some people used the time to be creative or learn a new skill.  Many people escaped by binge-watching TV and movies.  I assembled two 1000-piece puzzles.  The activity helped me focus on something positive rather than the unknown future.  But for some they zoned out with alcohol or drugs.  Then some took to social media to lambast the government for taking away their freedom by setting up vaccine and mask mandates.  The anger and resulting protests have been disturbing and disruptive.


Alan Cohen, in his book "Daily Dose of Sanity," writes, "You probably know someone who has struggled with alcoholism, drug addiction or mental illness....A teacher once explained to me such people are.... so sensitive, in fact, that the harshness of the world is unbearable to them so they seek an avenue of escape."  He went on to say, "Most people regard being well-adjusted as a sign of mental health, but the question is, "Well-adjusted to what?"  


If being well-adjusted to what the world says is "normal," then we will never find joy.  Cohen says, "The trick is to find relief from the insanity most people call sanity without using a crutch like liquor or drugs to escape (or social media!).  If you must escape, escape into peace."


God has provided a way for us to escape into peace.  Jesus said, "Peace I leave with you; My peace I give to you.  I do not give to you as the world gives.  Do not let your hearts be troubled, do not be afraid."


Father, when all about me are in turmoil, may I remember that I can escape into peace---Your Peace!


Link to Scripture:  Philippians 4:6-8


Take Action:

                           

No comments:

Post a Comment