"For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even His eternal power and Godhead..." Romans 1:20

Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Love Letters

Paul McCartney just released an album with a song entitled "My Valentine" and it's gotten me to thinking about love letters.  I will give you the link to it at the end of this post so you have some mood music by which to write your love letter to the ones you love.  

Before the age of e-mail, texting, and cell phones love letters were more prevalent because it was the only way for lovers to communicate when they were apart.  I have a stack of letters Ken wrote to me while he was in Vietnam in 1968 before we married.  One winter a few years ago we read them again.  It was as though we were back then reliving that year apart.  I have a couple of my Dad's love letters to my mother.  I've also kept the letters from friends and family and have spent some time rereading them and feel blessed to have had so many friends through the years.  I especially am glad to have the four letters my Dad wrote me in the 10 years after I left home before he died.


I also wrote letters.  Unfortunately, my letters to Ken in Vietnam could not be brought back with him, but I do have the letters I wrote my parents in the 1970's.  I wrote letters to each of my sons on their birthdays, but didn't give them to them until they left for college.  I wrote them because I didn't want to die unexpectedly without their having one last "love" letter from me.


Love letters by well-known people have been published from poets like Lord Byron, as well as, dictators like Napoleon.  There's a love letter written by an unknown Civil War soldier that became famous when Ken Burns featured it in his program on the Civil War.  You can listen to it here: Sullivan Ballou Love Letter

The most famous love letter is the one written to each of us.  The one from God:  John 3:16 "For God so loved the world that He gave His one and only Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life."  Our human relationships can be great sources of love, but God's love letter to us goes beyond physical love and is eternal.  Why not pick up His love letter today and read just how much He loves you.


Father, thank you for Your Love--the kind of love that lifts me and carries me beyond and above the cares of this world.


Link to scripture:  Ephesians 1:13-14


Link to song:Paul McCartney "My Valentine"

No comments:

Post a Comment