"For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even His eternal power and Godhead..." Romans 1:20

Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Create a Masterpiece

"You can't get rid of negatives by forcing, resisting, or denying; instead, find a way to turn them into positives."  --Alan Cohen




To see a World in a Grain of Sand
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
And Eternity in an hour. 
–from "Auguries of Innocence", William Blake


In his book, "Wisdom of the Heart," Alan Cohen writes, "People with broader vision aren't subject to conditions--they create them."  He feels this is the sign of a true master who can turn anything into a masterpiece.  William Blake's poem (above) says it all for him--that there are no limits when we can see the larger picture.  

Many years ago I was made aware of this in a very simple way.  I had a room in my house that I was using as a combination dining/family room.  I've always loved to rearrange furniture every few months and had run out of ways to rearrange this room....so I thought.  My determination, however, caused me to persist.  I remember feeling as though my visual perspective changed, and I suddenly saw the room's unusual shape as an asset rather than a hinderance.  The room's shape is beyond description other than to say it only has 2 right angles and 7 corners, 9 if you count how the corner fireplace protrudes into the room. Until this moment I had lined the table up with the family room furniture arrangement.  When I saw the room's shape from a different perspective I suddenly realized I could angle the table in a way that had never occurred to me before and still have it fit in with the rest of the room.  Voila!  

That imagery has remained with me and surfaces whenever I come up against a dilemma that does not look like it has a solution.  God's word addresses this in Ephesians 2:10, "For we are God's masterpiece.  He has created us anew in Christ Jesus, so we can do the good things He planned for us long ago."  

From God's perspective all things are possible because He sees the larger picture.  He not only created us in the beginning but created us anew in Christ Jesus so that we could fulfill our purpose for being here.  Just like my new room was functional and pretty, we can also be useful and lovely when we see things, and people, as God sees them--whether its ourselves and our own life or others and their lives.

Father, You are constantly rearranging my life in order to make it work more perfectly for me to fulfill the plan You have for my life.  Help me to stand back and see my life from Your perspective so that I can know the what/when/where/how to do it.

Link to scripture: Matthew 19:6

Take action:

                              
 

No comments:

Post a Comment