"For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even His eternal power and Godhead..." Romans 1:20

Friday, July 12, 2019

Lesson #8


"I want to know Christ and the power of His resurrection and the fellowship of his sufferings, being conformed to him in his death."  - Philippians 3:10



The first two weeks without Gabriel (see blog post before this one) found me welling up with tears when I realized his absence from my usual routine.  I thought of our times together and had regrets that I did not spend more time with him--like when he wanted to be with me but I was busy weeding my garden and I didn't want to have to go looking for him when he went exploring so I'd leave him inside.  Then one morning that second week I read a devotional that asked this question, "Is there an area of your life to which you're more committed than to your relationship with the Holy Spirit?"  I realized God was showing me how I don't give Him the attention He desires.  I used the example of Mary and Martha in Lesson #4 concerning other people, but now I was seeing how my Martha tendencies keep me from paying attention to the Holy Spirit within me.  

Oswald Chambers says, "Self-realization leads to the enthronement of work; whereas the saint enthrones Jesus Christ in his work....Every phase of our actual life has its counterpart in the life of Jesus." 

We may start off along the path God prepares for us in serving Him, but too often we become distracted by the cares of the world and take over the work without Him.  When we do this we begin working in our own strength, we lose sight of what's really important (relationships vs. results), and before we know it we're out of tune with God.

So now when I think of Gabriel I am reminded to check in with God....am I listening to Him or the noise in my head?

  • Lesson #8:  Don't let the cares of the world pull you away from God


Father, show me the areas of my life I give my attention to more than to You.  May everything I do find its counterpart in the life of Jesus Christ.

Link to Scripture:  Isaiah 55:6

Take Action:

                       


2 comments:

  1. I love this post... digging deeply into your soul.. and not afraid to meet yourself in the question to God... which is really maybe: : Father forgive me for not being discerning to your love for all your creatures... ie me, my kitty, my doggie, my son, daughter , husband or dad, or mom.. etc.. we all ask that retro ..after the fact. Your beautifuto think of how many moments this last week alone, I have not been in the moment with God.. bu off on my own little ego romp. I In fact my life has been that way.. out ahead of God .and then when too late , wishing I had listened to him , been more quiet with God leading, asking him more what HE wants me to do, etc etc. So I took this to heart today.. and fixed my dove Hannah's cage . I edited the essay for a friend.. best I could. I took a bag of greens to the neighbor's door and left them with a small note of thanks..for being a wonderful neighbor, quiet, sweet, good, Then I called my son a miner on the Iron Range of Minnesota and told him how wonderful he was to do the job he did..and to help the world drive cars, and have things in steel ..buildings and homes, and equipment for farmers.. then I asked what his favorite ice cream was.. I never knew it was butterscotch, same as me..... Then I called my granddaughter in the Peace Gardens in North Dakota and thanked her for being such a wonderful stewerd of the land, of the five thousand acres she tends in flowers... cutting the lawns there with her team... thank you , Hailey. So , dear little Gabriel,
    I know you are not judging your mom.. you loved her, romped with her, snuggled her..
    and have your little paw prints all over that yard. I bet she can find some.. and that will tell her you are sniffing around.. romping in the weeds, and waiting for her to let you in the house..... and sit with her while she reads tonight. You and I know your mom is soooo special and so wonderful to all of us on this blog... her photos are so beautiful and she takes us on vacation with her... and you . you had her wrapped around your little paw and she is hurting. She misses you so .. bark for her tonight in a dream while you chase Poetry around the room.... your smile is here on my desk.. lighting up my world. Thank you, dear Gabriel I too should have thanked you more along the way.. xxx Merri , Bart, Peter and Hannah

    ReplyDelete