"For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even His eternal power and Godhead..." Romans 1:20

Friday, January 1, 2021

Focus

 ".....I focus on this one thing:  forgetting the past and looking forward to what lies ahead."

Philippians 3:13b


You are probably wondering why I've posted such an unappealing photo of a past-bloom wild honeysuckle vine.  I will get to that later.....


Last year in my first post for the year I shared that my Word for the Year was "Crossroads."  It was prompted by Oswald Chamber's thoughts on doing God's will, "He brings us to the place where we begin to debate....That moment becomes a great crossroads in our lives..."  


As I review the year and the pandemic crisis in the world I can see God bringing the whole world to a crossroads.  People are reassessing their lives either because they are realizing they need to make some changes in their lives or they've been forced to due to financial crises or death(s) in their family.  They may not know it, but they are standing at the crossroads of choosing to follow Jesus Christ or to continue on the road of the world's way.  Hopefully, they have heard the Gospel and have chosen Christ.  


My crossroad, however, was not of this sort.  I have been a follower of Christ for many years now and my family has not been touched by the worst of the trials that the pandemic has brought.  For me personally my crossroads has turned out to be whether to FOCUS or not to focus on Jesus AT ALL TIMES.  This year in particular I have found myself not being able to settle.  I found that the turmoil in the world----whether it was the politics of the elections or how the virus disrupted everybody's life----distracted me in a major way.  My thoughts were often scattered and I felt restless.  For the first time in my life I found myself putting together a 1000-piece puzzle (minus a few missing pieces) because it was the only thing that helped me feel settled since it forced me to focus on one thing.  Reading a book did not help me focus because reading often makes me feel sleepy.  Picking up sticks in the yard helped, but only when the weather allowed.  Putting a puzzle together was something I could do off and on inside and it definitely kept me awake! 


This brings me to this year's word FOCUS.  In that first post I wrote about setting my phone's alarm to remind me to pray "Thy will be done in my life and in the world's" three times a day.  Those reminders often came at the right moment to remind me to let something go and let God's will be done without a struggle......like when I had to cancel numerous family gatherings or not be able to get closer than six feet to my newest granddaughter.  


Keeping my focus on the fact that God loves me and knows what's best for me has kept me in His peace these many months.  But FOCUS is going to take on a deeper meaning this coming year.  I've already begun to make a 180° turn in order to see things from a different perspective and, therefore, more clearly.  In the physical realm I'm parting my hair on the other side (which is where the 180° idea came from) and turned the grand piano in my living room 180° which allows for a different view.  In the spiritual realm things are finally coming into focus for me.  It's like the photo at the top of this post.  In that photo the wild honeysuckle looks messy.  It has finished blooming and everything is in disarray.  In this second photo I brought the focus in closer and suddenly it became a thing of beauty! . . . .


Such intricate feather-like tails swirling about the interesting pods.  That is what I'm hoping to achieve this year----being more mindful of the here and now by noticing the details not only of my surroundings, but also of what God is doing in my life.  There is much to be thankful for, many things to keep my interest while I stay home, if I can just keep my focus close-up to God's face and not let myself be distracted by all the chaos around me.  He can use me right here, right now, if I'm not distracted.  Focusing on Jesus Christ makes me aware that I am in God's presence AT ALL TIMES.


Father, help me to keep my focus where it belongs--on Jesus--so that I will remember I am always in Your presence. 


Link to scripture:  Hebrews 10:22


Take Action:  The Power of God's Presence

                           


No comments:

Post a Comment