"For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even His eternal power and Godhead..." Romans 1:20

Tuesday, November 15, 2022

Brains or Excelsior

"Do not be deceived:  God is not to be mocked.  Whatever a man sows, he will reap in return."  --Galatians 6:7


Do you remember watching The Wizard of Oz when you were a child?  The title of this post comes from Emmet Fox's "A Book of Daily Readings."  It made me think of the straw man in The Wizard of Oz.  He didn't have a brain because his head was stuffed with straw!  I remember watching this movie every year at Thanksgiving time when it'd be shown on TV.  It was only when I grew up that I realized how allegorical it was.  

Fox writes, "What we sow in thought we reap in experience.  People know that these things are true, and yet in spite of this transcendent knowledge they constantly use the Great Law for their own destruction."  He says they would not pour water into their gas tanks or sand in their watch, but every time they think or speak negatively they are doing something just as foolish.  He suggests every time we catch ourselves doing this to say to ourselves, "Brains or excelsior?"

Another way to think of it is negative thoughts are not loving thoughts, and ask yourself, "Which do I want more of?"  Loving thoughts will sow more love.  Verse 8 in Galatians 6 says:  "Whoever sows to please their flesh, from the flesh will reap destruction; whoever sows to please the Spirit, from the Spirit will reap eternal life."

I am still trying to understand why I allow negative thoughts to make themselves at home in my brain!  When they come knocking at my door I don't need to be polite and ask them to come in.  In fact, I don't even need to answer the door!  

I do know negative thoughts come disguised sometimes as sympathy (for myself when I'm having a difficult time) or disguised as self-respect (when I feel put down or taken advantage of).  Even if I open the door to these visitors I don't need to say, "Come in, stay awhile, have some tea with me."  Rather, I should just acknowledge these thoughts, close the door, then look into my God-filled heart and ask Him to tea instead.


Father, Your Love for me is what I want sown in my heart.  May I only sow good seeds so that the harvest will be plentiful. 


Link to scripture:  Galatians 6:9

Take action:  The Wizard of Oz 

                       



                        

2 comments:

  1. Cathy what a wonderful post that reminds us of how blessed we are to be able to think good thoughts placed there by the Holy Spirit. (I always loved the Wizard of Oz). Have a wonderful day. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete