"For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even His eternal power and Godhead..." Romans 1:20

Monday, January 16, 2012

Childhood Fantasies

Do you remember trying to walk around in your father's or mother's shoes when you were a child?




Or be the mommy or the daddy when you played house?  Did you get into your mother's jewelry box, as I did, or sniff her perfume bottle?  Or did you play with your father's tools when he wasn't looking?  


My grandmother had a huge oak tree out at the road whose roots had grown up out of the ground around the base, creating little spaces that we kids imagined as rooms of a house.  And nearby there were bushes she'd trimmed to look like a chair and couch.  All these things helped us create our little fantasy world.  




Why do we try to emulate others anyway?  I think it's because they have something we desire.  As a child I desired to be my own person and not have to answer to anyone.  I wanted to grow up so I could be in charge of my life like adults seemed to be since they all had control over me.  Every adult reading this is smiling to themselves right now--we know better don't we.  We reached adulthood and found there are others to take our parents' place--employers, social groups we wished to belong to, spouses, and yes, even our children in some ways.  It's called Responsibility with a capital R.   Sometimes the roles we take on require us to answer to others.


But I've finally learned there's a way to do this without being pulled in every direction.  It's in abandoning yourSelf to/for God that you will maintain your integrity.  We only have to answer to One Person.  It's there we will be affirmed, or chastised for our benefit, if necessary.  It's there we'll receive the guidance we seek to navigate all the unchartered waters and unmarked trails.  It's the only Source we can truly trust so why seek elsewhere?


Father, open my heart so that I will keep to the Path you've prepared for me.


Link to scripture:  Psalm 119:105

No comments:

Post a Comment