"For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even His eternal power and Godhead..." Romans 1:20

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Chickens

I love chickens!  There is a neighbor back behind us that has three that visit our yard from time to time.  Here they are in our front yard.




The brown one, I recently discovered, is named Henrietta.  She is the friendliest of the three.  When we were tearing up the lawn to put in the pea gravel the threesome would visit every day hoping to find bugs in the newly-turned earth.  When I'd find one as we sifted the rocks out of the dirt for the flower beds I'd call "Here, chick, chick, chick."  Henrietta would come running over to claim the grub I'd found.  Once she was down in the driveway which required her to run up several steps to get her treat.


I think I must love chickens because my grandmother kept chickens.  When I was a child in the 1950's we'd visit there often.  One of my favorite chores was collecting the eggs.  Here is a wonderful story about a rooster named Chickahominy: 


Another neighbor has a rooster.  I can attest to the fact that roosters do not confine their crowing to early morning hours.  They will find something to crow about any time of day.  But it does not disturb me.  I love it because I can imagine I'm back on Mamaw and Papaw's farm, and I am just a child enjoying the freedom of running about the farm, collecting eggs, romping with the kittens, or playing in the hayloft with my cousins.  


There's something to being "just a child".  God calls us to come to Him as a child---trusting and open to learning, fully embracing life without the weight of the world on our shoulders because His yoke is easy and his burden light.  


Father, thank you for the reminder that I am Your Child.


Link to scripture:  Matthew 18:3

2 comments:

  1. I too have fond memories of Mamaw & Papaw's farm. I loved walking between the rows of crops they grew & loved her home cooked meals. So many more happy memories to many to list. I will share with you when I come visit! Love, Sis xoxo

    ReplyDelete