"For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even His eternal power and Godhead..." Romans 1:20

Monday, January 2, 2012

Clean Slate



Do you have any of the above on your "slate" to worry about?  Perhaps you can even add to the list.  I found myself worrying over something rather insignificant yesterday.  I've just bought a used sofa that will need to be reupholstered, and I've never embarked on such an endeavor before.  I'm hoping it won't cost more than buying a used sofa that has already been reupholstered.  I'd found such a sofa last week, but it wasn't quite what I wanted.  I figured if I could find one cheap enough that fit the style I was looking for, I'd have the budget to choose my own fabric.  So I paid the $72 for a sofa at the Habitat for Humanity Restore store and left it there until I could arrange to have it delivered to an upholsterer.  But then I began to worry that maybe an upholsterer would cost more than I realized, and maybe I couldn't find a fabric I loved at the price I could afford.  When I realized I was beginning to fret about my decision to pay out the money before I had these questions answered, and  since it was a holiday weekend and I wouldn't be able to contact an upholsterer for a couple days....well, I had to make a decision.  Do I let this destroy my peace or do I let the matter go?  It was then I realized the worst-case scenario would be I re-donate the sofa to Habitat for Humanity.   There's always a solution waiting for every problem once we put it in perspective and the only perspective that matters is God's.  So I wiped my slate clean.




Alan Cohen in "Deep Breath of Life" says nothing in the past has any power over who we are now because we are not the same people we were because of each new experience we have.  He talks about wiping our slates clean proclaiming, "You are setting sail on a great adventure determined only by how grand you are willing to think.  This year think big thoughts to create miraculous results."


Father, may I remember to seek You first in all things.


Link to scripture:  Matthew 6:25

No comments:

Post a Comment